Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Salon: Doctor this

 Good morning friends.  I've been looking at all the pictures from those of you in the Midwest and Northeast and was a leeetle bit jealous of being snowed in.  You know, having God tell you "No, you can't go running.  No the kids can't go to school or sports.  No scurrying around Miss Sandy.  Sit your ass at home for two days and read, sleep and watch movies."  Wouldn't that be nice just for a couple of days?  The weather down here is gorgeous, so I shouldn't complain.  But I'd love to wear a pair of jeans and a sweater, and be forced to go dormant for a wee bit. 

This was one of those weeks where I had to relinquish myself to the schedule.  Forget about getting anything else done, forget about blogging or reading or taking naps.  I stomped my feet and demanded I be allowed my three days of Andre and three days of running.  That's mine, don't touch it.  But beyond that it was all doctor appointments.  Two for me (annual checkup, fixing a cracked crown), and three for my son (all related to his back issues).  I also had my carpets cleaned, which is a day-long event.  Whatever.  These things had to happen.

I'm getting my head around a couple of book events coming up this spring...the UCF Book Festival on April 13 (great authors and Orlando bloggers!), and the Adult Literacy League Reading Between the Wines fundraiser on April 11.  It is going to be one busy week for me!  Stay tuned for updates on both.

On the reading front, I finished "Catherine the Great" on audio, which was REALLY a phenomenal piece of work.  I also listened to our very own Lenore Appelhans' "Level 2" on audio as well.  I have just started listening to "The End of Your Life Book Club" by Will Schwalbe.  I'm just preparing myself for tears, which can sometimes be a very good thing.  

In print, I did finish Uncle Stevie's classic collection of short stories "Night Shift", and am wrapping up a wonderful, insightful book called "Wild at Heart", which is about understanding a man's soul.  I'm reading this book primarily to better parent my 13 year-old son, but provides insight to my husband and myself as well.

So we have early Mass and Animal Shelter in store for today, plus management of homework.  Yeah.  That is always fun.  I'm giving up alcohol for Lent again this year, and that day starts Wednesday, so I shall be making hay while the sun shines (says the farmers).  Hope you all have a wonderful, restful WARM Sunday!  
  

12 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I know what you mean. I've threatened to not leave the house today but I know that's not gonna happen.

I hope none of Carl and Vance's customers are giving up alcohol! lol

Unknown said...

I've been feeling a little bit guilty about the warm weather we're having in Northern California. Not quite warm enough for shorts, but darn close.

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

I "escaped" Boston right before the worst of it. I've enjoyed looking at the pictures as well, but the only way I would enjoy that much snow is if EVERYTHING was cancelled...and as long as the electricity stayed on. Once the electricity goes off, "it ain't fun no more," says the English professor from Southern Mississippi ;)

Lenore Appelhans said...

Ooh! LEVEL 2 :)

Kimberly (Reflections of a Book Addict) said...

I'd gladly share the snow with you! I got forty inches! Plows aren't expected until Tuesday! Good thing about being snowed in is all the time for reading!

Congratulations on all the books you finished! Sounds like you've had very productive reading time!

JoAnn said...

I was going to give up wine for lent, but keep coming back to my brother-in-law's comment: "It's supposed to be lent not hell!" Good luck, Sandy!

Anonymous said...

Hey there arе using Wordpreѕs for your
sіte platform? Ι'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get
stагteԁ and ѕеt up my own.
Dо you requіге any coԁing expertіse to makе youг own blоg?
Any help would be really apprесіated!

Alѕo νisit my wеb-ѕitе: ulog.ir
My weblog - traubensilberkerze haarausfall

Kathy (momwithabook) said...

I can't believe it is Lent already. It seems like we just put the Christmas stuff away.

Good Luck

Heidenkind said...

You call Stephen King Uncle Stevie? :)

Darlene said...

Another busy week for you Sandy. I didn't do much this weekend mainly because its too icy outside. I'm listening to Level 2 and enjoying it so far. Hope you have a great week!

Julie P. said...

You are so good about working out and running. I've got the running down but really need to work on the rest.

Melissa said...

I can't wait for your review of Catherine the Great!