Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sunday Salon: A Bounty of Friends (and a plea for a rabbit)

A bright and hot (if you are living in the 80% of the US that is under the "heat dome") Sunday morning to you all.  Whatever the hell you want to call it, you have to call it miserable.  Our plans for this week in Indiana, particularly our two-day trip to an amusement park, were totally altered because you basically cannot be outside.  I did take the kids to the local county fair.  It wasn't pretty on my end of the deal, but they had a good time riding the rides, and lamenting their unfulfilled lives without this thing called 4H.  In the country, where I grew up, you were able to do projects and raise animals, then show them at the fair, and my kids desperately wish they could participate.  They loved walking through the animal barns, and particularly were sidetracked when we got to the rabbits.  My kids now think they need one, an Angora if they had their druthers (so they could make cash off harvesting the fur), and have launched a full-scale offensive.  They've done research, made decisions over names, and a rescue shelter has been located within a 2 hour drive of Orlando.  I can't stand it.  I'll let their father argue with them.   

But other than that which could drive me to drink, we stayed indoors.  The exciting event for me was that on Friday I packed up my Garmin, a few clothes and some wine, and headed to Indianapolis.  To be kid-free for a couple of days made me want to go screaming through the streets like my hair was on fire.  My first stop was meeting blogger Melissa from The Avid Reader's Musings.  We met up at a local dive that served Mexican, and I got to know the face behind a blog I've been following for some time.  As we all know, there is almost always an instant connection with people we know virtually, but it went beyond that in this case.  Melissa was born and raised in Indiana like me, she has a friend who taught at my high school, is a world traveler, is addicted to audio, and EVEN WENT TO THE SAME COLLEGE as I did!  It was so much fun, and we agreed to meet up next time I'm in the Hoosier state.       

  



Next I headed downtown, and checked into a hotel in the city center, to spend the weekend with my high school friends with whom I became reacquainted on Facebook.  (Remember the cruise a couple years ago?)  Unfortunately the Colorado friend wasn't able to come, but the three of us, coming from northern Indiana and Tennessee, made up for her in a weekend full of eating and drinking and laughing.  
 



On the reading front, I finished Gayle Forman's "Where She Went", which was addictively, compulsively readable.  Then I started "Iron House" by John Hart.  (Yes I know I was going to read a Nesbo next, but this book came in the mail and my husband brought it up to me when he visited last weekend.  I got distracted.)  I am enjoying this gritty crime thriller - he is definitely above the fray.  But compared to the books I've been reading, it is going a little slower.  I should have it wrapped up sometime this week.  THEN I'll read Nesbo. 

On audio, I finished "Faith" by Jennifer Haigh, and it was incredible.  Well- narrated, and one that really messes with your mind and gives you lots to think about.  I've got so many emotions swirling around in my head, I don't know where to begin.  Now I'm listening to Tina Fey's "Bossypants".  What can you say about Tina Fey, except that she is whip-smart and funny as hell.  I've been laughing out loud since I started it.

I will be coming home next Wednesday, back to the start of football, getting school supplies and new uniforms (ugh), and cooking every meal.  The fun is almost over!  But once school starts, life will become more settled, and that is a good thing.  
Hope you all have a relaxing, air-conditioned Sunday!

18 comments:

rhapsodyinbooks said...

I've heard so many good things about Faith, but it sounds to me a lot like the Meryl Streep movie and I wonder, is it more of the same old same old?

JoAnn said...

I really enjoyed a couple of Haigh's earlier books on audio, so will definitely listen to Faith, too. Rabbits, Sandy - really?? LOL

Jenny said...

Sounds like a great trip! I'm glad you're enjoying Bossypants!!

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I can't believe hat it is so hot and everywhere! My book club is going to be reading Faith. I have the book but maybe I should see if I can get the audio from the library.

Unknown said...

We have two pet rabbits ourselves, but we don't harvest their fur. I don't think you can make very much money from a single rabbit, but you might end up with two or three very nice sweaters.

They are excellent pets, much better than you'd think they would be, if you can't have a dog or a cat for some reason. They do need an area where they can be let out of their cage so they will be more work than a guinea pig.

The rescue where we got our, does insist adopters attend a brief care class, and I think there are extra classes for adopters under a certain age. The rescues want to make sure children who adopt know the six to nine year commitment they are making to care for their rabbit.

Anyway. You should come to California. It's been very pleasant out here.

bermudaonion said...

The thing is, if your kids did have 4H available to them, they wouldn't want to do it. They did have that in Auburn, but it wasn't very popular.

Melissa is adorable - I'm going to check out her blog now. Don't tell them I said this, but you look MUCH younger than your high school friends.

Zibilee said...

I predict that there is going to be a rabbit in your future, as when kids start with the pet pleading, parents are usually bowled over. Also, it's been crazy hot here, and I have been shunning the outside, like I mentioned to you. I can imagine that it must have been pretty hot for you to have to cancel plans like that. I am glad that you got the chance to hang out with Melissa as well. It does sound like you guys had an amazing time together and have a lot in common. Can't wait to see you back here!

ds said...

Oh, the joys of the county fair! I confess I did always enjoy going through the rabbit building, marveling at the variety: lop eared, Angora, etc. etc. because i'd only ever seen them in the field. And we had sheep, but no 4H (schedule conflict)...If you seriously do not wish a bunny in the house, then remind your kids that you have CATS. The two don't mix very well.
Good luck!

Ana S. said...

I'm glad you and Melissa had such a good time! Meeting book bloggers face to face is so much fun.

Also, I looked into my crystal ball and I'm afraid I see the same as Heather ;)

Unknown said...

I had a couple of rabbits growing up...they're sweet, not that bright and not as much fun as dogs or cats! Good luck with this!

It's fantastic that you were able to break free of the kids for a few days & meet up with Melissa and then your high-school friends!

I'm so glad you read/listened to Faith - I thought it was an amazing. fascinating book!

Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Melody said...

The weather's turning hot over here too, but it rained this morning so it cooled things off a little.

Sounds like you had a great time meeting up with Melissa and your high school friends!

Alex (The Sleepless Reader) said...

Please send some of you heat this way because most of Northern and Eastern Europe are experience a cold summer.

Glad to see you've met Melissa. I also follow her blog :)

Melissa said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying Bossypants. I've got it on hold at the library!

Unknown said...

I loved owning rabbits as a child and I love their idea of making money - I'm afraid I'm on your kids side ;-)

Jenners said...

Methinks you are going to be the proud owner of a rabbit very very soon! ; )

And how cool that you got to meet Melissa ... and had that instant connection. I've not met a blogger in person yet ... but I hope to someday (including you).

And Bossypants is a kick, isn't it?

By the way, I'm catching up on all the blog posts you've written while I was on vacation but I'm only leaving one comment. I'll never catch up otherwise.

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I had so much fun meeting you too! It's unbelievable how much we had in common.

I'm so glad your weekend was a blast. It sounds like such a fun group.

I also loved Where She Went, completely addictive.

Kathleen said...

It's nice you found some girl time to regain your sanity! That's awesome that you met up with friend from high school!

Alice said...

Very cool outing! It's hot here all-year round and ahh... it rains quite a lot too.