Friday, April 15, 2011

Spotlight on the UCF Book Festival: The Double Human - James O'Neal

 The last book I will highlight for the UCF Book Festival is "The Double Human" by James O' Neal.  I originally received this signed book at SIBA last fall.  Unfortunately, when I agreed to read and review a number of books for the festival, I bit off more than I could chew and was not able to read this book prior to the event.  Not to worry...I will most definitely be reading it.  But until then, here is the summary from inside the front cover.

*************************************

Tom Wilner is a cop.  At least what passes for a cop in this shattered world.  Plague and nuclear war have left most of the United States uninhabitable.  Many have fled to safer zones, forcing what's left of the government to wall off cities in an attempt to control mass migration.  The city of Miami is just one of these contained prison states.  But it's the outskirts of this forsaken realm that Tom Wilner calls home.

Amid this chaos, Wilner stumbles into the path of a wild and brutal adversary.  Forced to go undercover in the most frightfully ravaged corners of the Miami Quarantine Zone, Wilner uncovers something he hasn't seen in decades...a serial killer.  But this killer's path is not like any other; he has been active for nearly fifty years without any repercussions.  People call him "the Vampire".  Indeed, this serial killer is not human...and neither are his victims.

Doesn't this sound incredible?  Seven of the ten reviews on Amazon are five star.  If only I had one more week to read this before the festival!  Have any of you read this one?
 

10 comments:

Unknown said...

ny mention of the plague and my ears pick up. I hope this is as good as it sounds.

Zibilee said...

This one sounds a little dystopian, which means that I am guaranteed to read it. Also, like Jackie, my ears perk up at the mention of plague. I hope I get the chance to read this one soon!

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

So many books so little time. I think all book blogger understand biting off too much. This isn't my genre really, but this does sound good. I look forward to your review.

Darlene said...

Ooooh, this does sound good!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

This does sound really good! I may have to look for this - the combo of dystopia or post-apoc. and crime - how could I resist?

Julie P. said...

This one does sound like a winner.

ds said...

Ooh! Queasy-making! Can't wait to read your thoughts.

bermudaonion said...

When I saw this, I thought, "huh, I didn't get that book at SIBA." Then I checked my bookcase, and there it is. You've made me excited about it.

Alyce said...

That just sounds scary to me! :)

Jenners said...

Oh this does sound good...and not like your typical moody vampire book!