Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Human Bobby - Gabe Rotter


It only took one review to convince me. Michele from Reader's Respite told me I had to read it. She wasn't taking no for an answer. So I went out and bought the book that day. Soon after, Kathy from Bermudaonion told me I had to read it. She said that it would be a good selection for the read-a-thon because it was a one-sitting kind of deal.

So I did. In the middle of a day of flu symptoms, football, running kids around, and a little bit of read-a-thon, I read the entire thing. This almost never happens. I am easily distracted, so unless I am sitting captive on an airplane without a dirty house, needy cats and hungry children begging for my attention, I don't read books in one day.

If you could bottle what this book has, I think it might be illegal it is so good.

Synopsis, sort of: The book starts out on Chapter 31. Bobby Flopkowski is homeless, living in a tent, a recovering drug addict, and begging for food at the back door of restaurants. He has hit rock bottom. But it always wasn't this way, he tells us. He starts at the beginning with Chapter 1 and tells us about his successful career as an L.A. pediatrician, a big house, a beautiful wife and new baby. He slowly fills in the blanks, and tells us how he went from having everything to having nothing.

Sad and intriguing how life can turn on a dime. There are tragic events, and a mystery that isn't so mysterious to the reader. Only mid-way through Bobby's tale of woe, you get a sense something isn't. quite. right. You can't put a finger on it; it is just a feeling.

Then Mr. Cleverman Rotter catches you with your guard down and pulls the rug out from under you, and you are left laying there all scared and wondering what just happened. It is actually a cheap trick, but one that messes with your head anyway.

My thoughts: My thoughts were pulled out from under me at the same time the rug was. I don't know. Just read it. You won't be disappointed. Just put aside a few hours to spend reading this one, and you too can feel like an idiot grasping for words that won't quite do.


5 out of 5 stars





24 comments:

Melody said...

OK, now you definitely has my curiosity piqued! Gotta check this one out!

rhapsodyinbooks said...

Well with all three of you behind it, you know I have to read it also!

Julie P. said...

I just got a copy of this one in the mail from a friend. Look like I'm going to have to read it sooner rather than later.

Molly said...

boy - there is no moss growing under your feet! I was persuaded to add this book to my TBR list by reading Michelle's and Kathy's reviews, but I have yet to do anything else. How you managed to buy the book, read it and review it given your already hectic schedule is beyond me :)

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

such a tease!! now we'll all have to read this one next :)

Beth F said...

Okay, I know when I've been beaten: you, Kathy, Michele....

caite said...

Ok, I went out and bought this after the first...or second..great review.
I have not read it yet, but if you give it 5 stars how can I wait any longer??

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so excited. I ordered this right after reading Kathy at Bermudaonions review. I can't wait to read this. I think I may have to move it up on my list.

Alyce said...

The more reviews I see the more convinced I am that I need to find some time to read this book. It's that pesky lack of time that's driving me crazy lately.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Okay, OKAY! I will stop being lazy about picking this book up and will go get it and read it! You and bermudaonion have convinced, dagnabbit!!!! :)

Michele said...

Okay, so we need to get a discussion going (without spoiling it for everyone else, lol) about this versus Shutter Island. Now I read this book before I listened to Shutter Island....and you know exactly what I must have been thinking when I got to the end of Shutter Island (same thing you were thinking the last couple pages of this book, right?).

Suffice it to say that I had to compare copyright dates, lol. And I can't help but wonder if my enjoyment of Shutter Island was diminished at the end by you-know-what. I still loved, loved Shutter Island, but it would have been even more amazing had not I gotten to the end and thought....well, you know what I thought.

So should I be calling out the literary police for thievery? Argh!!!!

The Bumbles said...

Wow - well I loved Shutter Island so I'm certain I will love this then per Michele's comment.

Now Sandy, when are you going to start reviewing books that I've already read? This title is now #331 in my To Read queue on Goodreads - and I'm pretty sure at least half of those books were suggested by you!

Zibilee said...

I also loved this book to death, but had the same problem with comparing the ending to Shutter Island. In my opinion, that ending only works once, but I adored the book anyway. I think part of it was that Bobby was such a sympathetic character. He was hella stupid sometimes, but I liked the guy, and I wanted him back with his wife and son.

I gave this one a really positive review as well because, for most people, the ending will totally catch them off guard.

Awesome review, Sandy!

Alice said...

Oh yeah, when I read the review of this book at Kathy's, I was hooked. And now I see yours, I'm hooked once again. And because I've been reminded time and again about this book, I think it's a sign from God to get it. I may not be reading it this year but I sure would like to for next year. :)

Jen - devourer of books said...

I remember you telling me about this when you were in Chicago, but I didn't realize it starts with Chapter 31, that is really interesting! Okay, I'm going to go and look for it now!

Ti said...

I. Must. Read. It.

Jackie (Farm Lane Books) said...

Michele convinced me too! My library doesn't own a copy so I now have to make the difficult descision of whether to buy it or wait until a copy turns up. I know I have to read it - the question is can I wait?!

Unknown said...

I wasn't sure what to think about this book when I read a synopsis of it but you've convinced me that it's one I should put on my list.

It sounds captivating and I love a book I can read in an afternoon, albeit a long one! lol

Ana S. said...

You know what, sometimes "just read it" is pretty much the most persuasive thing that can be said. This is one of those times :P

bermudaonion said...

I'm glad you loved this one. Carl had trouble with ending too, but we talked about it for a while and he came to appreciate it more.

Jenners said...

OK ... I need to read this. I think I may have actually been offered a review copy of this and passed ... to my eternal regret!!!

Gavin said...

Okay, okay, I will.

Melissa said...

Okay, so I have to read this one. I haven't read a book in a day, let alone a week, in forever. I need a book that just draws me in.

Anna said...

You've made me curious! I'll have to get my hands on a copy, but of course, my library doesn't have it.