Monday, July 26, 2010

Monday Movie Meme - The Big Draw


This week's topic for the Monday Movie Meme with the Bumbles is all about animation. This seems to be top of mind these days with Toy Story 3 enchanting viewing audiences everywhere. My family saw this movie in 3D IMAX about a month ago, and I was initially skeptical. A sequel? How could it touch the first two? But we laughed, cried, and agreed it was worth every bit of the hype. (I think it is the best of the three movies.) So what other animated films have rocked our world over the years? Here are some of mine:

1. Spirited Away - Haha! It is a challenge now to figure out how many weeks in a row I can fit this amazing movie into the weekly parameters! What is this, the fourth week in a row I've mentioned it? Of all Miyazaki movies, this one is my favorite. But I think it is worth mentioning that I could easily put ALL of his films on the animated list.

2. The Wall - This is a little blast from my college years, but I still pull out this movie and watch it. Not only is this the music that defined my youth, but the blending of reality and animated fantasy are graphic and a bit of a mind trip. It is truly a full-sensory experience.

3. The Fantastic Mr. Fox - In the category of stop motion animation (a quick nod to our beloved Bumble), this movie was more fun than an adult would ever expect to have with the children's genre. It is clever and quippy, and while the kiddies will no doubt be entertained, it has just as much to offer the grown ups. I laugh until my stomach hurts every time I watch it.

4. Beauty and the Beast (also known as the token Disney selection) - You can't list animated movies without recognizing something from Disney, who wrote the book. I struggled a little with this, because some of the older movies (Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Cinderella) are sentimental favorites. There are the more recent movies that provide inspirational, strong female characters (Mulan, Hercules, Aladdin). Then there are the movies where the animation is unparallelled with its sweeping scenes and vivid texture (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast). At the end of the day, I chose Beauty and the Beast. The animators outdid themselves (I still get chills when I see the ballroom scene), it is a classic story with a good lesson, and Belle loves her books. You can't argue with any of that.

5. Waltz with Bashir - This one is way off the animation radar, but deserves your attention (and the Academy thought so too when it was nominated for Best Foreign Film in 2009). This animated autobiographical documentary on The Lebanon War is haunting and informative, and not something you will soon forget.



13 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I am so out of it as far as movies go - the only one of those I've seen is Beauty and the Beast. Vance and I are talking about going to see the new Toy Story movie.

Zibilee said...

I have never seen Spirited Away, but your multiple mentions of it make me feel like I really need to see it! Another movie I haven't seen is Fern Gully, but my husband says it's one of the best animated movies out there. Have you seen it? What do you think??

Anne said...

Wow! I don't know half of the movies you mentioned. XD Here's my list, though, not as interesting as yours: http://enyascloset.blogspot.com/2010/07/monday-movie-meme-big-draw.html.

If I may answer Zibilee, yes it is nice, but I wouldn't say it's the best.

Gavin said...

Woa! All of these are fabulous movies (well, maybe B and B is just OK). "Spirited Away" is my favorite Miyazaki and the first DVD I bought. We just watch "The Fantastic Mr. Fox" again and I will never be able to hear George Clooney with out seeing that fabulous puppet. And "Waltz with Bashir" is unforgettable. Have you seen "Persepolis"?

Heidenkind said...

I'd say Spirited Away, Anastasia, and The Little Mermaid. :)

Kathleen said...

I love Beauty and the Beast. I want the Beast's library!

Stephanie said...

Waltz with Bashir has been on my radar since I watched The Kite (which is also set in Lebanon). And I love Spirited Away (and everything else by that director) and Fantastic Mr. Fox. I am also a big fan of Up and the Toy Story movies.

Melody said...

Spirited Away!!! I love, love, love that animation!

The Bumbles said...

I enjoy the challenge you have created for yourself to work in Spirited Away every week - I dare you to keep doing so!

ds said...

Beauty and the Beast is the only Disney movie not watched a bazillion times in this house, because the opening scene with the wolves terrified the CS (note that this same child was nonplussed by Jurassic Park while her mother was quaking in terror).

Ratatouille is the current fave in that genre... Will look for "Waltz with Bashir."

Beth F said...

I am out of it in terms of animation. I haven't seen any of these!

Ti said...

Sandy, have you ever thought about doing a movie vlog each week? You are the entertainment queen when it comes to movies and your reviews and comments are much more interesting than the average entertainment reporter.

PLUS, I sense that you are a rather animated kind of person and seeing a video of you do your thing would be very enjoyable.

Just something to consider, you know, with all the free time you have :)

Melissa (Avid Reader) said...

I really enjoyed Waltz with Bashir too. It was fascinating.